Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Doing

Have you ever stopped to think about the things you say to your friends, your children, yourself?  "How are you DOING today?", "What are you DOING?", "Why are you DOING that?", "When are we going to DO that?"

Recently, my "DO"ing has been on my mind.  See, I do a lot.  I'm an active mama with 3 active little guys.  Some days it seems like we are doing constantly.  Some weeks it feels like we're only in our home for meals and sleeping.  Boy we sure have a lot of stuff for people who are mostly sleeping in our house.  

We live in a society that emphasizes DOing.  If you're not DO-ing something, something is wrong.  Even some preschoolers are learning that they need to be active and involved in 3 or 4 or even more activities every week.  (Have you ever asked a teenager to help with something - he's got to check his calendar - he learned this habit as a 3 year old in soccer, swimming, and baseball).  

Do you ever feel stressed when you realize how much you have to DO?  I sure feel that way some times.  I've got a lot on my plate - more than I should.  I actually have started to schedule days at home because that is what it takes sometimes for me to practice BEing.

That's right, BE-ing.  I am working really hard to change my focus from "How am I DOing today" to "Who am I BEing today."  When I focus so long and so hard on the activities that I think I need to get done, I forget who I am, who I want to be, and how I want to lead my children.  I stop considering my actions before my desires.  My busy schedule is a problem when it makes me lose focus of who I am being.

How about you?  I need help to refocus.  Fortunately I have some friends that are helping me learn to BE the person that I was designed to be.  The DO-ing has to come later, it's secondary.  It's hard to make that secondary in this culture.  

God, help me learn to BE the woman you made me to be.  Help me obey you first and do my things later.  I pray that I can be a light to others as I BEcome your messenger in a busy, loud world.  Amen.

How do you help yourself stay focused on what you were made to be?

0 comments:

Post a Comment