Monday, March 25, 2013

Faith & Health:Your Body the Temple #Mamavation

Photo of Herod's Temple (model) found on edibleteacher.com
1 Corinthians 6:19 says, "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own."  

I cannot tell you how many times I heard this verse used as a child and youth in a manner that was not holy.  I heard people repeatedly use this scripture as an excuse to be intolerant about a variety of body modifications: tattoos, body piercings, even hair dye.  Here's the thing that really kills me:  I believed it.  I thought that these people, who I highly respected, certainly understood what the Bible was talking about.  Because I knew that they had my best interests at heart, and were much more knowledgeable than I, I never questioned it.

In fact, I was 28 years old before I finally allowed myself to be okay with coloring my hair.  Guess what - I don't think this was an unholy act.  I don't believe that this was a sin that destroyed my "temple".  I have a different understanding now about what this means.  I'm still working on forming my mind around the truth in the statement, and apply it to my life.

I plan to share more about what this means in my life over the next several weeks.  Please stay tuned, challenge yourself to think about your understanding of this verse.  Please share in the comment section.  What do you think this verse is about?  Is it a sin against the body to get a tattoo, color your hair, or pierce your body?  

My faith is a leading factor in my current desire to achieve better health.  I hope that as I share, you will also begin a journey toward self-improvement.

11 comments:

  1. Definitely something to think about. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What better way to honor God than to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't disagree with you. That is not what I learned from this scripture as I was growing up though.

      Delete
  3. Good luck as you go forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, like you, heard this verse used for the same things.. I have never taken it that way however.. treating my body as a temple means taking care of my body and feeding my brain and heart with the Word..

    I wish you the best of luck and I for one am looking forward to what you discover as you go on with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina, I plan on sharing more about that today :)

      Delete
  5. I am curious to see where your series on this goes. I struggle with this in that by overeating I am not caring for His temple as I should and that I should be filled not with food, but with God's word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, I understand the struggle - I'm certainly not a healthy size/weight myself right now. I plan to share some more today (Easter threw off my schedule)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this really personal and honest post! I think it's really important that we keep seeking and learning about God. Personally, I learned about this verse more like the way Rebecca was mentioning it. I imagine it must have been a vastly different lesson the way you described it!

    ReplyDelete