Monday, April 9, 2012

Breakfast for dinner on vacation

A couple of weeks ago the boys and I went on a "vacation" - it wasn't a real vacation - we stayed at my parent's house for a few days because Monkey had a doctor's appointment in their area, and it was the best way we could work out transportation.



As I planned for our food needs, I was presented with the opportunity to try out Tyson's new Breakfast Bread Bowls.  Now, they're not part of our typical diet at home - but we were going to be away, on "vacation" and they're still fairly healthy - certainly healthier than a trip to McDonalds.  


We chose to do our shopping at Sam's Club in Indianapolis.  My boys LOVE Sam's Club because there are often samples of foods.  They were not disappointed by the samples this trip!  We wandered the store and looked at some fun ideas for our yard, the boys were impressed by the video selection.  We had a short but serious debate about whether or not we should buy some raised garden kits.  To read about the whole shopping trip, check out Google +.

Then we found the frozen foods.  I'm always amazed at the variety of frozen foods that Sam's Club offers.  We had a few on our shopping list, so we picked up what we needed for the week.  All the staff were friendly and helpful.  Our biggest problem?  There was a puddle on the floor in front of some of the frozen chicken.  If I hadn't been holding onto the shopping cart, I would have fallen down.



Once our cart was filled with all of the goodies on our list, we checked out and got a snack.  Sam's Club is tricky like that, they put their nice little cafe right by the registers to entice families with small children.  We had planned on getting a snack anyway, the boys always think it's fun to eat when we're in the store.  We had pretzels and chatted about our plans for the day.  What a fun time we have together when we shop.  I hope my boys never grow out of their love for shopping!

I planned to serve our Tyson breakfast bowls with green beans and fresh fruit for dinner one night while we visited. BUT - I'm kind of a dork and prefer to serve the same meal to both of my big boys whenever possible - Crackers can't have eggs - so I had to share with just Monkey while Crackers slept as a lunch one afternoon.  

These were really good.  I had one later that night as a snack... and another the next night... I had one for lunch the next day with green beans as a side while the boys napped.  Seriously, the Tyson breakfast bowls were that good, and super easy to make!  

My only complaint (other than that they disappeared too quickly) was the size of the bread bowl.  It is significantly smaller than I expected based on the packaging.  It is probably closer to what I should be eating in one sitting though.

Breakfast for dinner became breakfast for lunch, and late night snack.  Soon we'll buy some more and share them with Monkey for dinner - I just have to figure out what we'll make for Crackers when we do it!

This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias all opinions are my own.
#Cbias
#TysonBreakfast

2 comments:

  1. I've been eating one here and there in the morning and found it was just enough to get me going! (And so much better than my habit of skipping breakfast!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are 6 and 8 and still love shopping; so there is hope :)

    ReplyDelete