Monday, July 16, 2012

Really Riding

I learn so much from my boys about life, about faith, about love... the list goes on.  I love the relationship that I have with my boys.  This week I've learned a bit about "really riding".  I'm not talking about my bike, but that's where it all starts:

It wasn't in our original plan for the week, but we were so glad to spend Manasseh's birthday with my parents and my sister's family!  He turned 4 on Tuesday and we celebrated in style, excellent food, a fantastic cake, presents, and bike riding!

My sister had received 2 small bikes for her little Stinky and decided to give one to Nas for his birthday.  I was somewhat skeptical about this idea because in the past he has refused to even attempt pedaling (trikes, big wheels... anything).  Guess what.  This boy was super excited about the bike.  He needed help at first, but he was determined to figure it out.  He worked hard to get his muscles trained to move just right.  (He does have training wheels).  Once he got the hang of it though, he took off, no troubles.

He asked to ride his bike EVERYWHERE around the camp this week.  He still needs help with going up hill.  That's tough work!  He's getting there though.  We left camp Friday night and I made him put the bike in the house - as soon as we were back on Saturday night (around 11pm) he dragged it outside and rode it for as long as we would allow before throwing him in bed.  Do you know what the first thing he wanted to do on Sunday was?  You better believe it - he wanted to ride the bike.  Even before breakfast (that's huge).
Cassius wants to learn too - he'll get there.  He borrowed Stinky's bike to try it out.  We're going to have to keep our eyes out for a scoot bike for him to work on too.

So now, what is it that I've learned from Manasseh's incessant biking?
Dedication.  He wants to ride this thing everywhere.  He wanted to ride so badly that he took TIME to practice.  He accepted help.  He is committed to riding his bike.  You know what?  He's getting better at it every day.  He really finds joy in riding his bike, really riding.

I want to be so dedicated to Christ the way Manasseh is dedicated to his bike.  I want to get excited about spending time with God so much that I can hardly wait to get out of bed in the mornings.  I want to be willing to accept help where I need it.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Self-discipline is a struggle for me.  I'm working on it.  I'm getting better.

God, Help me to "really ride" with you each day.  Give me the energy and excitement that comes from being close to you.  Thank you for being at work in my life today, and every day.  Amen.

Are you riding with God?  How do you keep yourself on track with daily time in the Word?  What exciting things is God doing in your life?

0 comments:

Post a Comment