Thursday, January 26, 2012

What I wish I knew


3.5 years ago, Monkey was born.  

He wanted to be held all of the time - ALL of the time.  I couldn't get him to sleep unless I was holding him, and as soon as I put him down he would wake up and cry until he was held again.
That is tiring for a new mama.  

2 years ago, Crackers was born.

He loved to be swaddled.  I could swaddle him in a blanket, put a pacifier in his mouth, and pat his chest for a minute or two, and he was out cold.  

This just amazed me.  I never swaddled Monkey, I tried it a few times and it just didn't work.  I don't think I knew how to do it well enough that it would stay tight on him.  

3 months ago, Baby was born.

We swaddled him from the start.  I knew how to do it and he learned very quickly to love it.  Now he doesn't like to sleep unless he is swaddled.

I wish that when Monkey was giving me so many difficulties, I had known how to swaddle and done it.  I wish I had done it from the start.  I wish that someone had taught me how to swaddle effectively.
I highly recommend that all new mamas learn to swaddle a baby and try it with their babies.  It takes practice, and it might take baby some time to learn to love it - but it will make sleep time SO much easier.

0 comments:

Post a Comment