Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2 year old: On Adoration


ad·o·ra·tion

  [ad-uh-rey-shuhn]  Show IPA
noun
1.
the act of paying honor, as to a divine being; worship.
2.
reverent homage.
3.
fervent and devoted love.

Devoted love, honor: Adoration!

I'm learning it from my kids.  This weekend Crackers was showing his adoration of Poppy (my dad).  Not only does he love to talk to Poppy, he just loves being around him.  On Saturday we spent the day with 85 members of my dad's family.  I LOVE New Year's Day for that very reason.  Crackers sought out his Poppy.  He was more interested in watching Poppy eat than playing with the other kids.  Just look at this.


I want to be more like my 2 year old.  This little guy wanted nothing more than to sit on his knees and watch the one he adores.  (Nana tried to take him out of the kitchen and he just went right back to the same place).  

I'm just not good at being still and watching.  
He devoted his time to watching Poppy.  I want to devote my time to watching God.  I want to learn to truly adore God.

My boy ignored the whole world of activity around him so he could LITERALLY sit at the feet of my father.  Wow.  I can't even ignore the phone long enough to read a Bible passage some days.  

When we get close to "Poppy's house" my boys get excited.  Crackers yells and cheers, "Poppy's House!"  I don't do that with God's house.

But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."
Luke 18:16-17

I've had plenty of conversations with people speculating about what this means.  I think my kids know.  They get it.  Somehow they understand adoration so much better than we do.  


Lord, help me learn from my children, who so effortlessly display their love for others.  Help me learn to take the effort to truly adore you.
Adoration

0 comments:

Post a Comment