Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The fate of the Christmas pan

So it was, we crystalized the honey that was planned for gifting.  Rand thought it would be a good idea to melt the crystals.  He put a kettle of water on the stove that he would later use to warm the honey, thus dissolving the crystals.

From the basement, I smelled toast (mind you we have no toaster).  Randy told me what he had done and I figured that must certainly mean the burner had a food spill on it.  I continued on my task of packing for the night  away.  Very shortly, I heard something fall and break.  I ran to the kitchen (a step behind my 2 year old) and saw glass on the floor, and a little bit of cereal.

I was puzzled.  I don't remember having any clear glass bowls, why would they have cereal in them, what did it fall from?  Randy came barreling up the stairs shouting "is everyone all right"?  He saw more clearly the glass covering the kitchen floor, and the fire on the stove. 

It turns out, I left our nice new Anchor cake pan on the stove.  and Randy sat a plastic tray on top of it after we finished a Happy Birthday Jesus cake from Walmart.  Randy turned on the wrong burner for his water and heated the glass cake pan, thus exploding it.  Once it was exploded, the plastic tray was directly on the electric burner and heating up our Christmas morning.

So, thanks Mama Crum for the cake pan.  It was great for the cheesy chicken and rice casserole.  I'm going to miss it.


  1. Oh No! Did that happen today?

    Meijer has some metal cake pans with lids 50% off. They're green. Maybe you could replace it with one of those.

  2. it happened this morning while we were getting ready to go to Nana and Poppy's house