Saturday, December 8, 2012
Advent Experience: Week 1 Review
This is the first year we are practicing the celebration of Advent. We are excited about the idea, but uncertain about how it would all work out. Randy and I sat down and briefly reviewed our week together tonight so that we could talk about what, if any, changes we would make during the next weeks.
What we like:
- We have an excuse to sit down at our table every night - it's easier for us to say no to going out to dinner when we have a planned activity after dinner.
- We've got a planned conversation topic for our meal. This really helps with engaging the boys.
- It's given purpose and shape to our learning with the boys.
- The boys have changed in their prayer life (even in this week).
- It helps us focus on the birth of Christ.
- The boys look forward to our special family time.
- We are building beautiful memories and new family traditions!
What we are not so sure about:
- It's been more difficult to schedule our time at the gym.
- The boys are staying up later because it has changed our routine.
- We sometimes struggle to focus on the reason instead of the activities. We'll modify some of our activities for next year.
We are enjoying the celebration of Advent. We'll absolutely make it part of our family tradition as our boys grow. The boys have changed even in this week from begging to eat dinner out, to thanking God in their prayers that we can eat healthy food at home instead of at a restaurant.