2 c uncooked quinoa
4 c water
2 celery stalks
2 medium sized yellow onions
1/2 can refried beans
Additional seasoning to taste
preferred cooking oil (opt)
1. Combine 2 c uncooked quinoa grains and 4 c water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn to low heat until quinoa is a sticky, rice-like consistency. Quinoa will appear to have rings around it, like a tiny planet. Remove from heat.
2. While your qunioa cooks, chop celery, onions, and carrots into a skillet. Saute with oil or water until tender.
3. Puree vegetable mix in a blender. Add to quinoa. Mix in refried beans, cilantro, garlic, and other desired seasonings. I used cilantro, seasoning salt, and hot sauce to flavor my quinoa patties.
4. Mix all ingredients until they become a "meat like" texture. If your mix is too sticky, you may add flour to reduce stickiness.
5. Once combined, make burger patties or "meat" balls. Fry with oil in a skillet or bake on a cookie sheet in the oven. I prefer frying on the skillet, as it gives the patties a meatier texture.
6. Serve with or without a bun and your favorite toppings. Eat like a hamburger.
7. Leave a comment below telling me your tips, favorite toppings, or other thoughts.