Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I want to be...



June Cleaver.  Just look at this picture.  Her house is perfectly clean, even with 4 boys sitting in the bedroom.. their bedroom is CLEAN!  She's got her hair done up and is dressed nicely, wearing heels.  I bet she's even had time to take a shower.  June probably has a roast in the oven, the dishes done, laundry folded, floors swept.

She's on top of things.  Maybe she wasn't like this when Wally and Beaver were toddlers.  I can't imagine what it would look like for me to accomplish all this lady seems to do in a day!  She must be exhausted by the end of the day.  Shoot, I bet she sleeps all night!  It looks like an ideal life from this side of the TV screen, doesn't it?  I wonder what she would say if she were really honest about her feelings.

I bet she's tired of doing dishes 3 times a day, maybe her feet hurt from the heels and her hair is permanently stuck in the same style because of all the hairspray.  It sure looks like a good life, but is it?

My life is messy.  I have boys, a toddler and well, a would-be toddler.  He'll toddle in his own time.  Crackers favorite game is the one where he pulls all of the books off of the shelf in the bedroom.  Monkey loves to pull all of Cracker's clothes out of the cabinet and climb it.  Monkey is also finishing up with potty training, talk about messy!  Oh, and the diapers... all the poo in Cracker's diapers - a never-ending mess!  I'm sure June had some diapers to deal with too.

So I look at her and I feel envious, but as much as she looks like she has it all together and I know I don't, I love my life and my family.  I love serving them even though I don't love doing dishes or folding laundry.  I
m certainly able to do things for my family that June was never able to do.

Who do you look at and wish you could be more like?  I love the image of June Cleaver.  Some day I'll reach a portion of her homemaking greatness.  Until then, I'll be glad to get the books and clothes off of the boy's bedroom floor!

2 comments:

  1. ah june. if only all of our lives depicted a 1/2 hour to hour time slot of such perfectness a day. that's the thing about it. it's what we see on the outside that makes us long for more. when, like you said, who knows what was going on in her head. appearances can be deceitful. even when that isn't the intention that's life. people see one thing and automatically think a certain thing or way about people-when in reality, that persons appearances could mean nothing other than they want to appear a certain way. it's the inside that counts :) kind of like the cream in the middle of the donut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, and I DO love the cream in the donut... if it's the right kind...

    ReplyDelete