Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Heiny Helpers

Last week I saw that someone had tagged "Heiny Helpers" on Facebook.  Being a fan of cloth diapers, I had to check it out.  I was surprised by what I found.  I had anticipated finding a great new diaper made by a work at home mom.  But this.. is so much better!

Heiny Helpers is a very new organization, founded early this year.  Their mission is to help low income families by loaning them cloth diapers in good condition.  In less than 2 months, this group has helped 15 babies switch to cloth and they have a quickly growing waiting list - there were 11 on the waiting list earlier in the week, now 14!

Heiny Helpers educates families about how to use cloth diapers, how to care for them, and types of cloth diapers.  They offer choices regarding the type of diapers each family receives.  I am really very impressed by this program and would love to see it start in my home town also.  (I've still got to look into what it would take).

Here's the kicker ---- they run on donations.  There are 14 babies waiting for cloth diapers RIGHT NOW and the list is growing so quickly!  You can help Heiny Helpers by donating new or gently used diapers directly to them.  I would love to hear that some of my readers donated to Heiny Helpers.  I'd also love to hear about similar programs in your area.

I am asking my readers to consider donating 1 or 2 diapers that you don't use as often as the others (if you're like me, you've got some you prefer and others that get used absolutely last)... I am also planning a donation of 1 or 2 diapers for now, and next time I'm in their area, I've got a bag of prefolds to drop off!
First United Church
2420 E. Third St.
Bloomington, IN 47401

They also accept monetary donations on their website.

Subscribe to Heiny Helpers email list.

0 comments:

Post a Comment