Thursday, January 20, 2011

High on life

I want my 2 year old's attitude about life.  He believes that anything is possible and that makes life amazing.  Each moment is a new possibility.  I used to have it all the time, I remember.  Maybe it's part of being a kid and we all grow out of it, but do we have to?


This morning Monkey is flying all over his room.  To the untrained eye, it looks more like throwing himself at the floor or his bed or the dresser.  He and I know, however,  that he is flying in a very real way.  He's practicing for the day he gets to fly to school or the park.  Those skills are definitely going to come in handy when it comes to meeting just the right young woman (I hope she can fly too).

I think part of his attitude is about knowing how to REALLY use his imagination.  I love to imagine things, but I think that my ability to imagine the impossible has dwindled as I've grown.  Maybe I just suppressed it because "it is much more practical to imagine the probable".  I am so excited that my big boy is learning the world of imaginary.  I love it that I can enter it again through him.  He opened the door to my imagination and once again, I can fly.



For the record, when I was in elementary school, I used to practice flying off the end of my bed.  I even remember waking up some mornings, opening the window, and flying to school.  I guess that was probably a dream, but it is pretty clear in my memory!

What impossible thing will you do today?  What's your best memory of your imaginary world?

1 comment: